For the first time ever, twelve Vancouver area business improvement associations have united to kick off a city-wide initiative called Black Friday Vancouver. From November 29th to December 1st, Vancouver retailers, spas and restaurants will be offering amazing deals and activities to drive holiday sales and keep locals shopping at home.
The American Crew Competition is about innovation, style and some of the most talented hair stylists in the world.
As a Country winner – Finalists will receive national press coverage, recognition as the top stylists from their country, and a chance to be selected as one of the 15 finalists to represent their country at the Global competition.
Moods Hair Salon
1070 Mainland St,
Vancouver, BC V6B 2T4
Getting us ready for Halloween, The Roundhouse Community Centre helped kick off the spooky season with Thrill the World Vancouver!
As part of an annual event international event, Thrill the World brings together like-minded zombies to dance to Michael Jackson’s classic “Thriller”. This year, Thrill the World happened at the Roundhouse Turntable on Saturday October 26.
Taste of Yaletown will be hosting its 9th anniversary in 2013. Bringing together the talents of chefs with culinary treasures in the best dining district in Vancouver, Taste of Yaletown is a showcase of tastes, treats, sips and sights.
From October 16th-27th, Yaletown kitchens will offer featured menus, special tastings and innovative pairings to tempt the most adventurous foodie. With a fresh approach to fixed price menus of $25, $35 and $45 restaurants will offer any combination of food and drink or even special in-house events.
Photo Credit: Raj Taneja
Vancouver, BC (September 25, 2013): Emad Yacoub, Proprietor of The GLOWBAL COLLECTION has been named Restaurateur of the Year at the 25th Annual Pinnacle Awards. Yacoub will accept the prestigious national accolade at a special 25th anniversary luncheon to be held December 6, at Toronto’s Fairmont Royal York Hotel.
The annual awards are organized by Kostuch Media Limited, publishers of Foodservice and Hospitality and Hotelier magazines, to recognize Canada’s most worthy culinary and hospitality professionals. Winners are selected based on their contributions to the image of the industry through civic, educational and community involvement, as well as their efforts in establishing innovative concepts in foodservice or hotel management.
Yacoub is the driving force behind Vancouver’s largest restaurant group, which counts eight restaurants, two lounges and two take-out establishments within its growing collection. Yacoub will open a second location of his popular Trattoria, in West Vancouver in 2014. Currently, The GLOWBAL COLLECTION employs a team of more than 750.
“I am now in the company of national hospitality leaders who have made Canada distinct through food, service and places for people to come together and enjoy themselves,” says Yacoub. “That is a source of terrific pride that I share — by accepting this award — with my entire hardworking team and my partner in business and life, my wife Shannon Bosa-Yacoub.”
For more information, please visit: foodserviceandhospitality.com
About The GLOWBAL COLLECTION
The GLOWBAL COLLECTION is comprised of eight restaurants: glowbal grill steaks & satay, COAST Restaurant, Italian Kitchen, Trattoria Italian Kitchen, SOCIETY, Black+Blue, The Fish Shack, and The Roof; two IK2GO locations; and two lounges: AFTERglow and O Lounge. The energy, bustle and allure of these celebrated Vancouver restaurants are what most people notice first. In addition, flawless service, exquisite wine lists, and some of the most inventive, celebrated cuisine in Vancouver define every restaurant in the collection. glowbalgroup.com.
Check out The GLOWBAL COLLECTION blog for the latest news on all the restaurants.
Congratulations to the Yaletown establishments that is part of Georgia Straight’s Best of Vancouver 2013.
- Fine Finds, 1014 Mainland, Best gift shop #1
- The Cross Decor & Design, 1198 Homer, Best home accessory/décor store #3
- Mac Station, Best computer store (independent) #3
- TD Canada Trust, Best place to get a mortgage #2
- RBC Royal Bank, Best place to get a mortgage #3
- TD Canada Trust, Best place to buy RRSPs #1
- RBC Royal Bank, Best place to buy RRSPs #3
Media, Arts & Culture
- Bar None, 1222 Hamilton, Best nightclub #2
- Flight Centre, Best travel agency #1
- Opus Hotel, 322 Davie, Best boutique hotel (Metro Vancouver) #2
Food & Drink
- Blue Water Café & Raw Bar, 1095 Hamilton, Restaurant wine list (International) #1
- Cioppino’s Mediterranean Grill, Restaurant wine list (International) #2
- Starbucks, Best coffee shop #1
- Cactus Club Cafe, Best restaurant (chain) #1
- Earls Restaurant, Best restaurant (chain) #2
- Milestones Grill + Bar, Best restaurant (chain) #3
- Milestones Grill + Bar, Best restaurant for brunch #2
- Provence Marinaside, Best restaurant for brunch #3
- The Keg Steakhouse & Bar, Best restaurant for meat #3
- Cactus Club Cafe,Best restaurant to work for #1
- The Keg Steakhouse & Bar, Best restaurant to work for #3
- Cactus Club Cafe,Best restaurant bathroom #1
- Earls Restaurant,Best restaurant bathroom #3
- Brooklyn Clothing Co., 418 Davie, Best men’s clothing store (independent) #3
- Gateau Lingerie Company, 1020 Mainland, Best place for sweet little nothings
- Skoah, Best spa (chain) #3
- Skoah, Best place to get a facial #1
- Shoppers Drug Mart, Best place to buy cosmetics #3
- Pure Nail Bar, Best salon for a manicure/pedicure #1
- Splashie Nail Bar, Best express mani
- iDaburn salons, 1073 Cambie, Best hair salon #2
- Avant Garde Hair Studio, 1075 Mainland, Best place to give your locks a lift
- Sugarbox Waxing Boutique, 202-1290 Homer, Best place to get a bikini wax #1
- Stripped Ladies and Gents Wax Bar, Best place to get a bikini wax #3
- Sunscape Tanning Studios, Best place for a beach-ready tan #1
- Bemoved Pictures, 328-1085 Homer, Best baby photographer #2
- Randal Kurt Photography, Best wedding photographer #1
Mind, Body & Soul
- Steve Nash Fitness World, Best gym (men) #1
- Steve Nash Fitness World, Best gym (women) #1
- Exhale Yoga Pilates & Dance Studios Inc, 1083 Cambie, Best dance studio #3
- YYoga, Best yoga studio #1
- Bikram Yoga, Best yoga studio #3
- Exhale Yoga Pilates & Dance Studios Inc, 1083 Cambie, Best pilates studio #2
- Aarm Dental Group, Best dental clinic #1
- Roundhouse Community Centre, Best community centre #2
September 12, 2013 — Representatives from the Yaletown BIA and Board of Directors met with Mayor Gregor Robertson and Council to discuss issues affecting small business and the local Yaletown economy.
City of Vancouver | News Release | August 15, 2013
VIVA Vancouver, Vancouver Farmers Market and Yaletown BIA open new farmers market in Yaletown
The City of Vancouver’s VIVA Vancouver Program, in partnership with the Vancouver Farmers Market, the Yaletown Business Improvement Association and the Roundhouse Community Centre, is proud to announce the opening of the Yaletown Farmers Market on the 1100-block of Mainland Street, between Davie and Helmcken streets, on Thursday, August 15.
“The opening of a new Farmers Market in Yaletown through VIVA Vancouver is another way local residents can get outside and enjoy new public spaces downtown,” said Mayor Gregor Robertson. “Bringing a farmers market to Yaletown is a great way to expand local food options and create a new neighbourhood gathering place. As part of the City’s VIVA Vancouver Program, this new market will bring people together to support local small businesses and green jobs right in the heart of Yaletown.”
The Yaletown Farmers Market will run every Thursday from 2 to 6 p.m. until September 26 and will feature 30 vendors selling local produce, meat, seafood,baked goods and preserves. It is expected that the location, time and day will provide a “community connection”—an opportunity for people who live and work in the neighbourhood to meet and mingle.
“The Yaletown BIA is in a unique position to collaborate with community players like Vancouver Farmers Market and VIVA Vancouver to improve and expand programming in Yaletown. The Yaletown businesses are supportive and happy to be able to provide visitors the atmosphere and experience of having a farmers market in downtown,” said the Yaletown Business Improvement Association.
“Vancouver Farmers Markets is excited to bring a market to a busy downtown neighbourhood during a peak time when commuters, residents and tourists all cross paths. Partnering with VIVA Vancouver and Yaletown Business Improvement Association has been a very positive experience so far. We look forward to a successful season,” said Roberta LaQuaglia, Operations Manager for Vancouver Farmers Markets.
Mainland Street in Yaletown was identified in the City’s Transportation 2040 Plan as a pedestrian priority space. In April, a small group of Yaletown residents and business representatives met to brainstorm themes and closure options that could be explored through this summer’s trial and a farmers market was identified as way to get people together on the street.
This season the Vancouver Farmers Market is also trialing theMount Pleasant Farmers Market, which runs every Sunday until October 13 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Guelph Street between 7th and 8th avenues. If successful, both the Yaletown and Mount Pleasant markets may return for the full summer season in 2014.
VIVA Vancouver is a City of Vancouver program that creatively transforms streets into vibrant public spaces. For more information on VIVA Vancouver activations, please visit vancouver.ca/viva.
The Yaletown BIA board of directors would like to invite you to the Member Open House in preparation for Yaletown’s renewal as a BIA.
At the open house you will have the opportunity to:
- Talk about your business’ specific needs
- Discuss your vision for Yaletown for the next 5 years
- Prepare yourself for the changes in relation to the Vancouver Transportation Plan
- Meet the board of directors and the BIA staff
- Give us your thoughts on the BIA budget increase
Thank you for supporting our efforts to ensure Yaletown is a viable place to do business, shop, dine and visit. Future Yaletown BIA programs and activities are being explored as part of an ongoing consultation with members. Add your ideas and comments at the Open House and help to shape the future of this neighbourhood.
New programs and activities will form the basis of the Yaletown BIA strategic plan due in June 2013. We hope to see you at the Member Open House. Stop by anytime between 9am – 1pm, the board of directors and BIA staff will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
There will also be a draw for 3 x $50 Donnelly Group gift cards.
Photo Credit: Tourism Vancouver / Coast Mountain Photography
Come celebrate lower costs in Yaletown!
Good news for those looking to dine at Yaletown restaurants; starting April 1, 2013 you won’t be paying PST on food. On April 1, the 12% HST will be replaced by the 5% Federal GST and 7% BC PST rates.
Menus from around the world in one neighbourhood. With over 50 restaurants within Yaletown’s 3-block radius, you’ll be sure to find something you crave. Find restaurants below.
What does this mean?
As a purchaser, you don’t need to do anything to get this exemption! The tax on your meal will be reduced from 12% to 5%. Additionally, other items that you won’t have to pay PST on include: hair cuts, bicycles (try Reckless Bike Stores) and kids clothing.
Pick your favorite Yaletown restaurant by cuisine:
- Cactus Club 357 Davie St. (604) 685-8070
- Earls Restaurant & V Lounge 1095 Mainland St. (604) 688-4990
- Flying Pig 1168 Hamilton St. (604) 568-1965
- Hub Restaurant & Lounge 1165 Mainland St. (604) 696-9335
- Hurricane Grill 1137 Marinaside Crescent (604) 488-0555
- Milestones Restaurant 1109 Hamilton St. (604) 684-9111
- The Parlour 1011 Hamilton St. (604) 568-3322
- Romer’s Burger Bar 1039 Mainland St. (604) 559-7210
- Society 1257 Hamilton St. (604) 629-8800
Yaletown on Facebook
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010