We would like you all to meet #underbrella, our newest activation in Yaletown’s Bill Curtis Square. It’s a great way to brighten the space in the square this summer. We were inspired from other displays around the world but hosting an umbrella display in Vancouver only seemed fair!
What did you think?
Did our bright colours in the sky spark your creative interest? Would you love to see your dream suspended in Bill Curtis Square? Well this is your chance. We will be rotating displays throughout the year and would love to hear from you!
What would you like to see hanging from the sky #under_______???
The suspension structure (we call it “Suspend”) is a rectangular grid of aircraft cable, 12 cables suspended from 6 harnessed trees, with a perimeter and center cable for stability, hanging 15 feet up in the sky as shown in this diagram:
In order for your concept to join with “Suspend” it must meet the following requirements:
- The installation must weigh no more than 100 lbs max as a combined total when suspended from the wire grid
- All items in the display must be weatherproof (sun, rain, snow, wind)
- All items must be vandal proof (no moving parts to grab or fall)
- All items must be able to be anchored safety onto aircraft cable
- No items may suspend lower that than 12 feet of clearance from the ground (wires are 15 feet so 3 feet hang or slack is available on cables)
- The display must be a good choice for the community and not be offensive in any way. Joyful and inspiring creations are best.
- All items may light up but can only use 19 AMPS of power
- All items must be able to be purchased in multiples, and must be affordable within a modest budget
- We prefer concepts that are environmentally friendly or are recycled or reused materials
- The installation must look great suspended.
Submit as many ideas as you like via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include:
- Your Name
- Your concept and a description of the “suspension”
- Estimated weight of the total of all components of your concept
- Purpose or story behind the concept (200 words max)
- Include pictures or 3D diagram (if possible)
Please note: By submitting your concept by email you are giving the YBIA the rights to your idea. The intention of this call out for ideas is to invite ideas and inspiration for the Yaletown community to enjoy. The YBIA maintains the exclusive rights to accept an idea or not to accept an idea.
Thank you for your interest and support!